Chicken Salad may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Indian cuisine, but adding a few key ingredients to an old classic can really spice things up (no pun intended). It's also a good way to introduce yourself to flavors you may not otherwise experience if you're not much of an adventurous eater, and may even help expand your palate all while getting your daily dose of super-foods!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup of chopped onions
- 1/3 cup of golden raisins
- 1.5 cups of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fig preserves
- 2 tablespoons of organic turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of organic ginger powder
- 1 tablespoons of organic fenugreek powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt to taste
1) Bake your chicken breasts.
2) Chop and measure your vegetables while the chicken is cooking
3) After chicken is cooked and cooled, use a fork to shred it for a chunkier salad, or finely chop with a knife for a less chunky salad.
4) Prepare your spiced mayo. Mix the mayonnaise and all spices and olive oil in a large bowl. Taste and then use your creativity and personal preference to adjust quantity of spices, or feel free to add or remove ingredients. Our quantities are a suggestion but this is not an exact science!
5) Combine your shredded chicken and mix well.
6) Cover the bowl and cool your chicken salad in the refrigerator before serving.
7) Serve as a side salad, dip, or as a sandwich on your bread of choice.
6) Enjoy and let us know if you come up with any delicious variations. Upload a picture on Instagram and tag us @livewellimports to be featured on our page!
Shop for organic turmeric root powder
Shop for organic ginger root powder